Turnitin have reported that the slowdown affecting their service was corrected by 4 pm on 8 May, and the service is now operating normally again. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Turnitin are reporting a service degradation that may lead to slowness when using Turnitin, particularly when attempting to view an Originality Report or to use GradeMark. Turnitin’s own status reports can be viewed here, and we will also update this blog with further information as we have it.
We are delighted to announce that Blackboard will be moved to an externally-hosted service this summer. Benefits of external hosting of technical support include:
- A reliable and resilient infrastructure with less unplanned service unavailability
- Less planned downtime (eg some essential maintenance will be possible without downtime, upgrades take less time and can be completed overnight or at weekends)
- A highly scalable technical infrastructure with capacity to respond quickly to new requirements
- Quicker resolution of technical issues, due to 24x7x365 support, monitoring and problem resolution
- More rapid deployment of new software versions to resolve issues and respond to new requirements
- Improved performance, giving a better user experience.
The move to external hosting will take place between 4:30 pm on Friday 21 July and 4:00 pm on Tuesday 25 July. A read-only Blackboard service will be available over that period. All existing data and courses will be migrated to the externally-hosted service.
Software upgrade, course rollover
- The Blackboard software upgrade will take place between 7:00 pm on Sunday 6 August and 2:00 pm on Monday 7 August. The upgrade will introduce some new features (including a quicker way to add content to courses). The upgrade will also introduce improvements to the design and layout of Blackboard.
- Course rollover will take place in early August, after the 2017-18 unit and programme information is available.
New online teaching tool – Blackboard Collaborate
- From Monday 7 August, all staff will have access a completely new online learning and teaching tool – Blackboard Collaborate. Collaborate is an online classroom environment which can be used for activities such as online classes, office hours and guest lectures (using video, audio, text chat, a shared whiteboard and application sharing). For more information see the Blackboard Collaborate web pages: http://www.blackboard.com/online-collaborative-learning/blackboard-collaborate.aspx
Please refer to our external hosting project web page for updated information, where we will add answers to frequently asked questions.
For Blackboard support, training and advice, please contact us: (email@example.com; 0117 33 17605).
Update – 11.00am 8th May – All Mediasite recordings should now be visible in the associated course areas in Blackboard.
We are still experiencing delays with recordings not appearing in the links for students in Blackboard courses.
Mediasite are aware of the problem and are working to fix this. All of the recordings are still present on the Mediasite server so no lectures will be lost.
Update – 11.00am The adding of recordings to Blackboard courses is now catching up and we are seeing content from the 2nd May be adding to the links in Blackboard.
Any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We are currently investigating missing recordings from the catalogs in Blackboard from the Mediasite Service. TELED are working with our colleagues in IT Services and the supplier to understand why the problem has occurred and to resolve this issue.
Update 13.00- we have identified where the problem is occurring and have established that is a percentage of the recordings not everything recorded last week. This has been escalated with the supplier and is being looked in to by the Engineers. Please note that no recordings have been lost it is just the link in to Blackboard that has encountered problems.
Update 3rd May 10am – The problem with the links in Blackboard from Mediasite has now been resolved. If your students are still reporting missing recordings please can you email email@example.com.
There are currently problems with the Peermark service meaning assignments cannot be created. The service provider are aware of this error and are working towards a solution, hopefully within the next couple of days.
We will keep the blog updated with any news.
Apologies for any inconvenience
The Turnitin service has now been restored, apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Turnitin and TurnitinUK are currently experiencing a service disruption which means that the service is unavailable for use. We will update this blog with any further information about the downtime and sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Blackboard was unavailable between approximately 15:30 and 16:40 on the 19 April. It Services have now restored the service and will monitor performance. Apologies once again for the inconvenience.
Access to Blackboard is currently unreliable, with users receiving the “Blackboard is unavailable” message. IT Services are investigating the cause of this, and we will post updates here as we have them.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.