You can add your Blackboard calendar to Google as follows:
- Click on your name in the top right of Blackboard
- Click on the calendar icon
- In the bottom left of the Calendar you will see a link called “Get External calendar link”. Click on this
- Copy the link (Ctrl + C or Cmd + C for Mac)
- Open your Google calendar
- Under “Other calendars” on the left click the drop down arrow
- Choose “Add by URL” and paste in the link (Ctrl + V or Cmd + V for Mac), then click “Add Calendar”
- Please note the calendar name may appear initially as a long URL (web address) , but this will then change to University of Bristol.
- You may wish to change the Calendar name “University of Bristol” e.g. to Blackboard . To do this click the dropdown to the right of the calendar and select Calendar settings, then edit the name and Save.
Please note that any editing of events has to be done in Blackboard.
Since 2012 previous year’s versions of SITS unit courses have been automatically retained on Blackboard, so staff and students can have easy access to these where appropriate.
Following the annual course roll-over at the start of August, you will be able to see previous as well as current versions of unit courses, clearly identified by a year suffix in the course ID and name, eg:
Course ID Course name
BIOL11000 Biology 1A Diversity of Life 11_12
BIOL11000_2012_13 Biology 1A: Diversity of Life 12_13
BIOL11000_2013 Biology 1A: Diversity of Life 2013
BIOL11000_2014 Biology 1A: Diversity of Life 2014
BIOL11000_2015 Biology 1A: Diversity of Life 2015
This year all 2014 courses will by default remain available to students – in previous years staff could make the courses available to students if they wished.
Staff can easily make multiple courses unavailable to students, if required, using the Qwickly tool on their Blackboard home page.
Staff and students can choose to group each year’s courses under separate headings in the “My Courses” box on your Blackboard Home tab. To do this, please follow the instructions below:
- Move your mouse to the top right of the My Courses box on your Blackboard home page and click on the small cog wheel icon.
- On the page that opens, under “1. Terms”, tick “Group by Term”
- Note that you can also choose which courses and terms you want displayed, and whether you want to see course names, course IDs, or both.
- When you have finished click “Submit”
- Here is a 25-second video on how to use group courses using terms.
- Move your mouse to the far left of the page – it should turn into a double-ended arrow (↔)
- Click to show your course menu
See this video for a detailed description of the problem and how to solve it
Blackboard is the centrally supported online learning environment for the University of Bristol. Blackboard provides a range of tools to support communication, collaboration, and assessment activities as well as easy access to reading lists and course materials.