Turnitin have reported some difficulties with their login processes between 11.37pm Weds 23rd Oct and 6am Thurs 24th Oct which would have prevented users from logging in and / or accessing the Turnitin service through Blackboard. This has now been resolved and Turnitin is available as normal.
Apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused.
Digital Education Office
Re/Play was upgraded yesterday morning (12 October). While the upgrade has improved playback performance, it unfortunately resulted in a delay in the automatic publishing of lectures recorded from 5 pm on Monday until 6 pm Tuesday.
We have rectified this and made the materials visible. Many apologies for the inconvenience caused.
To make a recording private:
- Go to the My Re/Play tab in Blackboard
- Find the recording
- Change the setting from ‘Viewable’ to ‘Private’.
This is a reminder that there will be two disruptions to service this week as we maintain and enhance the service:
- The Re/Play service will have limited availability on Tuesday 10 October between midnight and 4:00 am. There will be several short outages of 5 minutes during these hours as essential data centre work is carried out.
- The Re/Play service will be unavailable for up to four hours between midnight and 4:00 am on Thursday 12 October. This work will improve playback for staff and students.
We are working to enhance and extend the service through a new program of investment, aiming to:
- Simplify, standardise and complete recording equipment provision in centrally managed, large teaching spaces
- Extend the scope of the service to better accommodate disciplinary requirements (eg record chalkboards and whiteboards, recording in smaller teaching spaces)
- Develop, implement and evaluate case studies of media to enhance teaching and differentiate assessment.
Please see our project page to find out more
Sonic Foundry who provide the Re/Play service (formerly Mediasite) have informed us that there will be potential outages on Tuesday 10 October between midnight and 4:00 am. There will be several periods of 5 minutes when the service will be unavailable during these hours. The outage is necessary for essential maintenance by the data centre provider. Sonic Foundry apologise for the inconvenience caused.
The Re/Play service (formerly Mediasite) will be at risk of being unavailable for up to four hours between midnight and 4:00 am on Thursday 12 October. Sonic Foundry (the company that host the service) need to undertake work to improve the playback experience for staff and students.
During the period of the upgrade, users will not be able to play recordings. The upgrade is out of hours to minimise impact. Nevertheless, we apologise for the inconvenience caused.
As an Instructor, if under “My Courses” on your Blackboard home page you see “not currently available” or “unavailable” after the course name, this means the course is unavailable to students. Instructors can still access and edit the course.
Once your course is ready for students to use, ensure that it is made available as follows:
Use the Quick Tools tool on your Blackboard Home page (this does not currently work for Hub courses). Click Course Availability and turn the On/Off button next to the course to the required state.
- Click on the course
- Under Control Panel, click on Customisation
- Click on Properties
- In section 3, Set availability, select Yes
- Click Submit
Your course is now available to students.
All staff are invited to enjoy a free lunch while learning about the new version of the TurningPoint software that is now available across the University, and how it can be used for voting both with handsets and with students’ own devices. Book your free ticket here.
TurningPoint Lunch and Learn
As part of a program of investment by the University in the Mediasite technology the service will be renamed Re/Play from September onward.
Managed by the Digital Education Team in partnership with IT services and Learning Facilities Management over the coming year we will see investment in to the service under four themes
- Increased room coverage
- Increased coverage of Cameras for recording of chalkboards and whiteboards
- An innovation fund to allow for creation of Media using the Re/Play service outside of the equipped rooms
- Pilot of software solution for smaller teaching spaces
Re/Play provides the automated recording of audio and projected content of lectures, accessed via Blackboard. The means of recording, editing and accessing lectures will remain the same. Please bear with us whilst we revise the support pages. If you’re new to the university and require technical support, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
More information will follow on this blog and on our projects pages – if you have any questions please contact the Digital Education Office.
We are experiencing some problems accessing Turnitin in some of our Blackboard courses following our upgrade yesterday. If you find that you have lost access to the Turnitin tool in your course please follow these steps:
From the Course Management menu click Customisation > Tool Availability and then put a tick next to the Turnitin options in the page of tools that appears > click submit. (please leave Turnitin basic tools unticked)
We apologise for any issues experienced with Turnitin following our Blackboard upgrade. The service has been restored.